It's all Greek

Athens 2004 Olympic & Paralympic Games

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Signed, sealed and delivered

At the office yesterday:
Called in to complete my final paperwork - note my new bank account number, and hope my tax file number and social security number from my previous sojourn to Greece was still valid.
After a few tense hours, I'm told that yes, my old numbers are still current.
Phew! I wasn't keen on having to run around to the tax office or social security offices to get myself registered again.
Everyone at the office was in awe at the effortless nature of my registration (they have been having nightmares and conflict with local Greek authorities in getting incoming staff on the books).

At ATHOC today:
Stacey and I decided to make the pilgrimage to the ATHOC offices to pick up our Olympic accrediation pass.
It was now or never.
We took a number at the entrance and were soon called up.
I hand over my Greek ID card.
With a blue piece of paper in hand I'm now ushered along the blue line..... (why is Stacey following the red line????)
Waiting now in a different queue, I glance at the blue piece of paper: "Applicant has no valid accreditation pending" it said.
I gasp!
I'm called to the next counter.
Perhaps my passport details are on the computer, rather than my Greek ID details? I offer to the girl behind the computer.
She checks.
Yes, there I am!
Now I'm following the green line and am standing at another desk where I'm photographed and 5 minutes later have my Athens Olympics accrediation pass in my possession!!

In three days, I have miraculously completed all my paperwork - a task which still baffles and frustrates the office staff in their endeavours to have all new incoming staff accredited.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home