Trials and tribulations
Wanted: Idiot's guide to setting up and operating Greek mobile phone.
After a painstakingly slow, agonising and frustrating hour of pushing buttons (in Greek) on my mobile phone - volume control; ring tones - I stumble upon ..... the language settings!
English! Now I get it - I quickly scroll through the settings, send/receive messages, add names to phone book. How easy it is when you're working in the right language.
Stacey calls on the landline shortly, informing me that my mobile number I SMSd was wrong.... oops, I had omitted one digit.
success at last! Two people call back on my mobile phone to confirm they had received my message.
I wait expectantly for several minutes.
Nothing.
I pass my hand over the stove's element.
No heat.
I switch on another element.
Again, nothing.
I stand by the stove - at a loss - frying pan in one hand, pasta sauce in the other.
Still, nothing.
Time to call Stacey.
"Um, how do I cook dinner on the stove?"
"Oh," she says, "you have to go to the mains switch and flick the button on."
Of course.
Just as you have to switch on the hot water system every time you want to have a shower.
And then switch it off again.
... that reminds me, better go and switch them off before I forget!
After a painstakingly slow, agonising and frustrating hour of pushing buttons (in Greek) on my mobile phone - volume control; ring tones - I stumble upon ..... the language settings!
English! Now I get it - I quickly scroll through the settings, send/receive messages, add names to phone book. How easy it is when you're working in the right language.
Stacey calls on the landline shortly, informing me that my mobile number I SMSd was wrong.... oops, I had omitted one digit.
success at last! Two people call back on my mobile phone to confirm they had received my message.
I wait expectantly for several minutes.
Nothing.
I pass my hand over the stove's element.
No heat.
I switch on another element.
Again, nothing.
I stand by the stove - at a loss - frying pan in one hand, pasta sauce in the other.
Still, nothing.
Time to call Stacey.
"Um, how do I cook dinner on the stove?"
"Oh," she says, "you have to go to the mains switch and flick the button on."
Of course.
Just as you have to switch on the hot water system every time you want to have a shower.
And then switch it off again.
... that reminds me, better go and switch them off before I forget!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home