It's all Greek

Athens 2004 Olympic & Paralympic Games

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Bacardi Breezers by the bar

2-12 Sept: Aegina island. Less than an hour by ferry from Athens...
Turquoise waters gently lap onto the rocks, sparkling under the Aegean sun.
"San to spiti sou," I'm told (like your home).
I need no other invitation.
I help myself to a Barcadi Breezer (watermelon) from the fridge and hold it out for Thomas, behind the bar, to open the bottle for me.
"Whatever you need," his mother repeats, "just help yourself."
At the bar, Thomas adds ice to my glass ... I'd be just as happy drinking straight from the bottle!
Two days earlier, as the Olympic fans departed the island, I arrived, exhausted, hungry and thirsty. I got up one morning and took the first available boat out of Athens. And arrived on Aegina, quiet after the Olympics crowds had gone.
I came for three days, planning to island-hop. I stayed for 10 days, eating, drinking, sleeping ... and frolicking in the clear waters.
So I sat at the bar each night, no great rush or urge to return to Athens, sipping my Gordons Space (I had drunk all the Breezers a couple of days earlier)....
Pass the bottle opener, please Thomas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home